The Yukon Fire Department was organized in 1899 when a group of men volunteered their time to extinguish fires. The Yukon Fire Department was formally organized as a part of the city government on July 6, 1914. At that time, the Yukon City Council approved ordinance Number 66, which appointed members of the department and assigned duties. Early firefighters used buckets to fight fires and progressed to a hand-drawn hose cart around 1900. The equipment was stored on the ground floor of a two-story bandstand at the intersection known today as 5th and Main Street.
The first equipment for combating fire was buckets. As the department grew and fire calls became greater in number, a hose cart was purchased. At first, this hose cart was hauled to the fire by men on foot. A horse was procured some time later to haul the cart. As automobiles became more numerous, a hitch was fitted to the hose cart and it was hauled to the fire in that manner. The department was motorized sometime after its formal organization in 1914. The type and date of purchase of the first motorized apparatus has been lost to history. It is thought that it was an International truck with a soda/acid chemical tank but this cannot be historically substantiated. A "real" piece of fire apparatus was purchased in 1938 from the American LaFrance Company in Elmira, NY. It was a Ford 500 GPM Class "A" pumper with a 300 Gallon booster tank. The Yukon Fire Department still continues to choose purchases that mirror the needs of the community.
The first hose cart was originally located in the bandstand at Fifth and Main Streets. This structure was a two-story building, and the hose cart was stored on street level. As the department became motorized, this location was no longer suitable. Records do not show where the first motorized apparatus was housed. However, records do show that they contracted with a few different people to use various locations along Main Street as their station.
In 1935 the city issued bonds for a City Hall municipal building located at 532 West Main Street. The fire department was moved into the first floor of this building upon its completion in 1936. As the need for modern fire apparatus was realized, another building just big enough for one pumper was constructed immediately southwest of the main building in 1963.
The city was in the process of growing very rapidly. Land at 302 South Fifth Street was purchased in 1968 for the new station. A single story, six bay fire station was built on this plot and opened in January of 1969. Concurrent with the opening of this station, the first full time firefighters were hired as well.
Currently, the department’s headquarters is located at 1000 E. Main Street in a stunning 26,000 square foot facility open since 2012.